About Me

My photo
Married mama to 4 great kids. Lover of coffee, crochet, Jesus and people, but not necessarily in that order.

Monday, July 9, 2012

My Tower of Babel

Last Tuesday, which happened to be the day before Independence Day, my husband had his naturalization interview at the Department of Homeland Security in Kansas City, MO! While we sat in the waiting room, I experienced so many emotions. I was a little nervous (ok....a lot nervous), excited, and most of all proud. I was, and continue to be proud of my husband for having the courage to apply for naturalization!  As I looked around, I saw the most amazing "melting pot" of people. I love our country for so many reasons, and this is just one of them. In the small waiting room of 20 people or so, at least 5 different countries from all over the world were represented.

 As I listened to people speaking a variety of languages, I was reminded of Genesis 11, where God tells us about the Tower of Babel...


Tower of Babel by Lucas van Valckenborch 1595

Genesis 11: 1-9
Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar[b] and settled there.
3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”
5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”
8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c] —because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

Isn't that AWESOME and horrible all at the same time!!! They were getting a little big for their britches, so God changed things up a little, so that they (we) would HAVE to depend on HIM.  

How often do I think that I'm getting along just fine without God? If you asked me, I'd say, "Never! No way!" Many mornings, however, I show God how little I really think that I need Him, by neglecting to spend time with Him with morning studies, prayer and quiet time.  Love it when God uses my life as an object lesson to lead me back to HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment