About Me

My photo
Married mama to 4 great kids. Lover of coffee, crochet, Jesus and people, but not necessarily in that order.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Learning about Temptation



Last Sunday, Pastor Adams taught about 3 principles that are necessary to "conquer" temptation, or at least be ready for it so that you can defeat it, one temptation at a time. 

The principles?

1.  Be filled with the Spirit.

I absolutely loved the analogy that Pastor Adams used; shouting "I know karate!" will not save us from an attacker any more than shouting "I've read the bible!!!" will help us conquer temptation. we need to do as Jesus did and remember, retrieve and repeat the actual verses that we have hidden in our hearts...

Which means, (ahem) we need to spend time in and memorize the Bible!! This is an area that I have been really thinking about and wanting to work on. There is so much wisdom in the bible!

I know! I know! Profound, right?!?!  ....wisdom in the Word of God...go figure!

I have been helping my 8 year old daughter with her memory verse for church, over the past couple of months, and ya know something???  I have memorized, them, too!  I have also had many opportunities to repeat them to myself, to my children and to friends, in remembrance, for teaching and for encouragement!

Next step? Work harder with all of my children in this discipline and continue to develop the skill for myself, as well.


2.  Know where you will be tempted...

Easy... everywhere!!! 

I am often tempted to eat more than I should, the things that I shouldn't, because they are just so good!! 

I am tempted to disrespect my man, because, ya know, he's human and imperfect (ahem...like me).

I am tempted often to skirt the responsibilities around my home and with the children because I deserve some "me" time, right?!?

The temptations go on and on and on, but I should be sure that Satan will definitely tempt me in the very same ways he tempted Adam, Eve, and Jesus.

He will use my flesh, my eyes and my mind to convince me that there are things that I want or need and just have to have.

He will try his best to convince me that God is holding out on me, or in the very least is just sitting by "watching" with disinterest. 

3. Suffering

EW!  Where is the "unlike" button?  While I can't speak for everyone, I am not a fan of the suffering "bit".  Not at all, but I can say that on the days of what I could describe as my most difficult days, there has always been a great sense of peace and/or joy that can only come from one place.... "God". 

Pretty sure, that this also means that we sacrifice some of the things that we think we "need" and wait for God's timing. Which leads me to another of Pastor Adams' awesome points that really made me think...

ALL of the trees in the garden were good.  ALL of the fruit was good.  God said so, Himself.  He created it.  It was ALL good!  God wasn't keeping Adam and Eve from goodness.  He wasn't witholding anything!!!  He was protecting them.  Isn't it so much easier to understand when we think of our own children and the treasure we give and/or keep for them?!? 

Now, I need to remember it for myself! 

Satan's big plan is to trick us into living our life without God, while we sometimes mistakening think that we are living it "for" God! 

He will stop at nothing to destroy our lives, our relationships, our persons.  He will not stop until ALL that God has created is destroyed...our marriages, our families, and our reputations. 


Watch Pastor Adams' message in it's entirety, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment